Monday 29 July 2013

Shake it like a Polaroid picture

Two of the three First Readers have finished E2 and the reports are positive. I've got some really good feedback about parts that need to be expanded and parts that need to be cut down.

Slash and burn is really difficult. When I look back at what I've written, I can't really see what is wrong with it, which is the whole point of having First Readers who aren't emotionally entwined with the work. I started off well, taking out whole paragraphs with a sweep of the biro. And then I got to the end of chapter 1 and fell in to the trap of reading and liking the story.

That's why people have editors. Ruthless and dispassionate. All authors should have one.

No, you're right, I'm not going to.

The main reason is economic. I made a profit on Echo but, after tax, probably enough for a decent night out rather than a career change. I've just paid Cathy Helms for the cover - I'll post that shortly - so I'm afraid that I need to start earning. Most of my readers have been incredibly forgiving of the typos and grammatical errors in Echo, although editing is so much more than proof reading. It's about pointing out where the story doesn't work, or where an opportunity has been missed, or where a line, a paragraph, a chapter (hopefully no more) doesn't make sense.

The flip side is that what you get (when I say you, I'm presuming you buy my stuff) is Echo by Pete Johnstone, not Echo by me and some dispassionate serial word killers. This was never meant to be anything other than an interesting hobby and I'm hugely grateful to the First Readers for their input but what you're getting, errors and omissions included, is the story what I wrote.

I hope you liked Echo and I hope you buy, enjoy, tell others about and leave positive feedback on Amazon (please) OUTCAST

Launch date - 26th of August







No comments:

Post a Comment